Last week, Kyler complained that he had a "scratch" on his back. The last few days, the scratch has turned into a 3-inch bumpy rash on his spine. Naturally, we have been home for a month and this happens the day before we go back to school!So, since I had a lot of school prep-work to do, Daran took him to the doctor this morning to find he has Shingles!
This is a "senior citizen" form of the chicken pox. You can only "catch" it if you have had the chicken pox before, and have recently been exposed to them. It isn't contagious, so he can go to school, which is good because he could have this for 2 or more MONTHS! He is a good sport and says it only stings a little. Since it attacks the nervous system, that "stinging" could be more painful as it progresses. For now, he just has some meds that he takes 4 times a day to speed it up and of course he can take ibuprofen for any discomfort. Right now he only has one on his back, but a second one is starting on his side. What a day!
7 comments:
Oh My Gosh! Fun stuff! I have heard that shingles can be quite painful. My mother-in-law has had them before. What causes a young boy to get that? Good Luck!
Just a spoof for kids to get it. If you've had chicken pox before and a low immune system from a cold or whatever...is all it takes. Of course, he was probably exposed to chicken pox in the last month..it all adds up. There is a booster for it, but you have to be 60 years old!
So, I totally had these when I was 11 years old and they are awful! They hurt so bad. I feel for the kid! I never had the chickenpox though! I'm glad that I found your blog! It will be good to catch up on how you guys are doing! How did you find us?
So...you sent me your blog a while ago...I just lost your email address..was hoping you'd notice us on there! Your blog is great! I totally want to make those aprons!
Hi sis! Sorry to hear about the K-man. Hope he feels better quickly.
Hi sis! Sorry to hear about Kyler. Hope he feels better soon and you don't get it too.
YOWZA! That just doesn't look fun at all. Hope he's feeling better!!
Post a Comment